Apple Computer
View Thread
Joe's Weather Cams :: Local Yreka News :: Yreka News
 Print Thread
Hwy 3 Road CAM on Forest Mountain
hugh
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/06 - 10:49 AM

Does anyone know what happened to the road camera showing the HWY 3 summit?

Edited by Joe Kriz on 01/01/06 - 03:28 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/06 - 01:31 PM

Site Owner

Photo Album

Hugh,

You are asking the right person as I am the one responsible for starting the "Forest Mountain" web camera.

Back in 1998 when Siskiyou Telephone company started as an Internet Service Provider, I was the Webmaster/Webmanager. I am the one that came up with the idea of adding the webcam to Forest Mountain. I also wanted to add one on top of Denny Point overlooking Scott Valley.

Anyway, there were several problems maintaining the camera on Forest Mountain as there is NO power. We had to use a solar panel and batteries. During the winter when the sun wasn't out very much, the batteries would go dead. Also, long night depleated the batteries. I left the Telephone company in 2000 and about a year after that they decided to shut down the camera.

I wish they would transfer the camera equipment to the top of Denny Point as they already have power up there along with other equipment from the cable company, etc... Call the telephone company and ask them why they can't do this as they already have all of the equipment and expensive camera just sitting there doing nothing.

As it stands right now, I have been the only WebCam is Scott Valley since 1998 that I know of.

hugh
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/06 - 07:44 PM

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I had no idea there was a connection between you and the road cam. The link for the camera would give me a winter condition for the road if we were coming up during possible bad weather. I miss it.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/13 - 04:33 PM

Site Owner

Photo Album

Hugh,

My webcam is just 3 miles from the base of Forest Mountain. From the base to the summit is about another 3 miles up the winding road. So, my webcam isn't too far from the Cam that was setup on top of the summit by the phone company. If you see snow on the ground in my webcam, you can be assured that there is snow on top of Forest Mountain about 5 miles away.

Jump to Forum:
Today's Date & Time
May 7, 2024 - 6:51 AM
Random Photo
Yard Beast
Greg Chorley

Users Online
Welcome
Tucker
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 323
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.08 seconds Copyright JoeKriz.com © 1996-2024 1,430,212 unique visits